Research staff: Dr Apostolos Georgiadis
Funding body: EU H2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Grant Agreement 661621
The Injkjet-Printed Powered Circuits for Sensing and Indentification (iREACT) project establishes the application of inkjet printing as a key technology for the implementation of batteryless and wireless sensor and communication circuits based on wireless power transfer and energy harvesting, enabling the realization of the Internet of Things (IoT). Inkjet printing supports a large volume production, achieves a good resolution necessary for high frequency electronics, enables the use of a variety of low cost and flexible materials, and is a direct-write, and additive manufacturing technology. The research outcomes of the project focus in two goals, to demonstrate low profile, conformal, inkjet printed RF energy harvesters and autonomous wireless sensor and communication circuits, and to establish inkjet printing in millimeter wave frequencies. During the outgoing phase Marie Curie Global Fellow Dr. A. Georgiadis is hosted at the Georgia Tech ATHENA laboratory led by Prof. Manos Tentzeris, a world leading laboratory in inkjet printed flexible RF electronics.
List of Publications:
- S. Nikoletseas, Y. Yang, A. Georgiadis, Editors, Wireless Power Transfer Algorithms, Tehnologies and Applications in Ad Hoc Communication Networks, Springer 2016. ISBN-13: 978-3-319-46809-9.
- J. Kimionis, A. Georgiadis, M. M. Tentzeris, 'Printed millimeter wave backscatter communications for scalable and low complexity Gbit data transfer', submitted to Nature Electronics, 2017.
- V. Palazzi, F. Alimenti, C. Kalialakis, P. Mezzanotte, A. Georgiadis, L. Roselli, "Highly integrable paper based harmonic transponder for low power and long range IoT applications, " in IEEE Applied and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2017.
- S.D. Daskalakis, J. Kimionis, A. Collado, G. Goussetis, M.M. Tentzeris, A. Georgiadis,´Ambient backscattering using FM broadcasting for low complexity and low power applications,´ IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, v. 65, no. 12, pp. 5251 5262, Dec. 2017.
- J. Kimionis, A. Collado, M. M. Tentzeris, A. Georgiadis, "Octave and Decade Printed UWB Rectifiers Based on Nonuniform Transmission Lines for Energy Harvesting," in IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques , vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 4326-4334, Nov. 2017.
- V. Palazzi; J. Hester; J. Bito; F. Alimenti; C. Kalialakis; A. Collado; P. Mezzanotte; A. Georgiadis; L. Roselli; M. M. Tentzeris, "A Novel Ultra-Lightweight Multiband Rectenna on Paper for RF Energy Harvesting in the Next Generation LTE Bands," in IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques , vol.PP, no.99, pp.1-14, 2017
- J. Bito, R. Bahr, J.G. Hester, S.A. Nauroze, A. Georgiadis, M.M. Tentzeris, "A Novel Solar and Electromagnetic Energy Harvesting System with a 3D Printed Package for Energy Efficient Internet-of-Things Wireless Sensors," in IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques , vol. 65, no. 5, pp.1831-1842, May 2017. (INVITED)
- A. Georgiadis, M. M. Tentzeris, "Guest Editorial Special Issue on Radio-Frequency Identificaron (RFID), Sensing, and Imaging," in IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques , vol.64, no.7, pp.2292-2293, July 2016.
- C. Kalialakis, N.B. Carvalho, N. Shinohara, and A. Georgiadis, "Selected Developments in Wireless Power Standards and Regulations, " in IEEE Communications Magazine, Standards Supplement, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 9-11, July 2016. Also available in IEEE Standards Education E-magazine (online), vol. 6, no. 2, June 2016.
- F. Bolos, J. Blanco, A. Collado and A. Georgiadis, "RF Energy Harvesting From Multi-Tone and Digitally Modulated Signals," in IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 1918-1927, June 2016.
- S. Kim, A. Shamim, A. Georgiadis, H. Aubert and M. M. Tentzeris, "Fabrication of Fully Inkjet-Printed Vias and SIW Structures on Thick Polymer Substrates," in IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 486-496, March 2016.
- S.N. Daskalakis, A. Collado, A. Georgiadis, M.M. Tentzeris, 'Backscatter Morse Leaf Sensor for Agricultural Wireless Sensor Networks,' in Proc. 2017 IEEE Sensors, Glasgow, UK, Oct 30 - Nov. 1, 2017.
- A. Georgiadis, J. Kimionis, M. M. Tentzeris, '3D/Inkjet-printed Millimeter Wave Components and Interconnects for Communication and Sensing,' in Proc. 2017 IEEE Compound Semiconductor IC Symposium (CSICS), Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, USA, October 22–25, 2017. (INVITED)
- S.N. Daskalakis, A. Georgiadis, A. Collado, M.M. Tentzeris, 'A UHF Rectifier with 100% Bandwidth Based on a Ladder LC Impedance Matching Network,' in Proc. 2017 EuMC, Nuremberg, Germany, 8-13 Oct. 2017.
- C. Mateo-Segura, A. Georgiadis, A.A. Rodriguez, R. Bahr, M.M. Tentzeris, A. Collado, G. Goussetis, , '3D printed planar bifocal lens antenna for multi-beam applications,' in Proc. 38th ESA Antenna Workshop, on Innovative Antenna Systems and Technologies for Future Space Missions, ESA/ESTEC, Oct 3-6, 2017.
- S.N. Daskalakis, J. Kimionis, A. Collado, M.M. Tentzeris, A. Georgiadis ' Inkjet-printed 24 GHz rectenna on paper for millimeter wave identification and wireless power transfer applications,' in Proc. 2017 IEEE MTT-S IMWS on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications, Pavia, Italy, 20-22 Sep. 2017.
- A. Georgiadis, 'Challenges and limitations in wireless power transfer systems.' in Proc. URSI GASS 2017, Montreal, CA, 19-26 Aug. 2017.
- J. Kimionis, A. Georgiadis, M. M. Tentzeris, ‘Millimeter-wave Backscatter: A Quantum Leap for Gigabit Communication, RF Sensing, and Wearables,’ in Proc. IEEE MTT-S IMS 2017, Honolulu, HI, USA, 4-9 June 2017.
- S.N. Daskalakis, J. Kimionis, A. Collado, M.M. Tentzeris, A. Georgiadis ‘Ambient FM Backscattering for Smart Agricultural Monitoring,’ in Proc. IEEE MTT-S IMS 2017, Honolulu, HI, USA, 4-9 June 2017.
- A. Servent, S. Daskalakis, A. Collado, A. Georgiadis, ‘A Proximity Wireless Sensor Based on Backscatter Communication,’ in Proc. ACES Florence, Italy, 26-30 Mar 2017.
- F. Bolos, D. Belo and A. Georgiadis, "A UHF rectifier with one octave bandwidth based on a non-uniform transmission line," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), San Francisco, CA, 2016, pp. 1-3.
- V. Palazzi et al., "Design of a ultra-compact low-power rectenna in paper substrate for energy harvesting in the Wi-Fi band," 2016 IEEE Wireless Power Transfer Conference (WPTC), Aveiro, 2016, pp. 1-4.
- S. N. Daskalakis, A. Georgiadis, A. Bletsas and C. Kalialakis, "Dual band RF harvesting with low-cost lossy substrate for low-power supply system," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Davos, 2016, pp. 1-4.